.

Monday, February 4, 2019

Digging For a Living :: Digging for Living

Digging For a Living   In his verse form Digging, Seamus Heaney describes a unique human relationship between a boy and his scram.  Their relationship near relates to the one I have with my father.  throughout the poem, the poets pen is contrasted with the fathers spade, using for each one as a symbol of their vocation and background.  Along the same downslopes, the relationship between my father and myself can be expressed through my keyboard and his pencil.  Heaneys poem tells of a boy and his father who have different c whollyings for their career.  The father has worked on the familys farm his entire life, digging up potatoes and keeping up the farm.  The poet describes his fathers digging, as the title infers, with alliteration from the line Under my window, a clean petulant sound when the spade sinks into gravely ground My father, digging (3-5).  The poet, on the former(a) hand, would much rather be writing stories or novels than o ut in the field doing manual labor all day.  The father digs physically with his hands bit on the contrary, the son digs mentally with his brain.  Heaney uses a spade to symbolize the fathers ambitions, thus, representing his farm work.  He metaphorically describes the sons writing with the passage, surrounded by my finger and my thumb the squat pen rests (29-30).  My father and I grapple the same type of relationship that Heaney and his father have in the poem.  My father is an architect and designs buildings for a living.  He spends most of his day at his mechanical drawing table, sketching plans for new buildings.  On the other hand, I have a theorize that involves using computers most of the day.  He uses his pencil to get the job done, while I use my keyboard to get the job done.  When I was younger, he everlastingly wanted me to be an architect with him, but now he accepts the event that I am not going to be an architect because I ha ve a sufficient job in the computer field. Throughout Heaneys poem, diction highlights certain words and phrases that require extra emphasis.  For example, in the line The coarse boot nestled on the lug, the shaft against the inside knee was levered firmly, the words chosen intensely impact the meaning (10-1).  Lug, shaft and levered all intensify the line.  Furthermore, most of the words are parts of a gun, which is another(prenominal) metaphor used.

No comments:

Post a Comment